Monday, May 14, 2012

The Appalachian Mountains...Old Rag

OLD RAG MOUNTAIN


Well, we recently returned from Virginia.  What a beautiful place!  I told myself that I was going to hike at least part of the Appalachian trail...but then I learned from a good friend (Toblerone) that Old Rag was a geologic wonderland.  So I hiked Old Rag with the world's best hiking buddy...my mom...the second one.  The only thing the hike was missing was sedimentary rocks, but I'll settle for igneous over nothing!  






A little about Old Rag from the Shenandoah Park People:


"Old Rag is Shenandoah's most popular and most dangerous hike. The number of blogs and websites about this hike attests to its popularity. The number of search and rescue missions each year attests to its danger. There's no doubt that the scramble is great fun and the views are spectacular. A day on Old Rag is one of Shenandoah's premier experiences."  http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/old_rag.htm


It was a tad slippery, but Utah puts their "dangerous" to shame.  Regardless, it was fun climbing on the boulders, and the view was spectacular!


The hike up:






Shperoidally weathered granite boulders everywhere!


Where's Mom?  Definitely don't have this problem in Utah!





Diabase dike cutting the granite.  It erodes easier which makes the crack that I am standing in.




Holding a boulder out of the way so Mom can get through.  I tossed it (with ease) over the mountain edge after that.



The Peak.  The pools of water are filling what is called an 

Opferkessel.  



Listening to the river.



 Thanks Mom for a wonderful hike!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a wonderful day, Stephen! Every time I hike in the Shenendoahs, now, I skip the scenery, cause I'm still looking for the elusive garnets!

    ReplyDelete